Friday, May 2, 2008

Business Cards

Originally written 1/11/08

So today around 3 pm I set about trying to get business cards made. They were finalized about one hour ago. (Right now it is midnight) I came up with a design that I liked, and printed the card on a test sheet up at Texas Tech, and although it looked pretty cute on the computer screen, it looked terrible as a card. So, I scrapped that idea and started a new idea. I decided to have a black card with white text. Since I decided that, I had to make a logo that way to put on the card. So, around 6 pm I was finally done with that. I also wanted to make some post cards to mail out to high school seniors at church possibly?? so I tinkered with that.

We went to FedEx/Kinkos around 7 pm, and stayed there until 8:45 while the girl tried to make this work. I had bought some pre-perforated sheets to print business cards on, but the trouble with that is that the printer sucks it in badly and so it prints slanted on a straight page. So, we tried normal paper and found out that their printer was the culprit. So then, we tried normal paper on a better printer and finally got it all right. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I had done the card in Microsoft Publisher 2007, and they only had 2003 and it made all of the colors look bad and we had to fix that as well.... Anyways, so then the girl called a coworker at the other store asked him to cut out the business cards for free for all of the trouble that I had been through. Since I had walked in to the store with pre-cut paper, I figured that this was only fair.

So, Zane and I got a bite to eat around 9pm, and then headed to the other Kinkos in town. The man there was super nice and did a great job cutting the cards out. He was meticulous and they are perfect! However, he took his precious time in making them perfect, thus taking him almost an hour to cut 100 business cards. So, I saved about $10 making the cards myself, but spent an extra 4 hours (7-11pm) trying to get it done.

Now I am trying to decide if I actually saved anything at all because you have to subtract the gas it took to drive to the other store, the dinner we had to eat out because we were out and hungry and waiting for the cards to print, and miscellaneous frustrations along the way. I think next time I might just get the professionally done. (Well, my design, someone else's printing, etc.) I guess you live and you learn, right?

And, so that I don't finish a post without some pictures, here is the front and the back to my business cards.


No comments:

Post a Comment